Tuesday, June 10, 2008

a word on talents

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say 'I used everything you gave me.'" -Erma Louise Bombeck

i have been thinking a lot about talents lately. maybe it's all the free time and trying to figure out what to do with myself. i'll admit, there have been times in my life when i felt comfortable saying that i had many talents (not in an obnoxious, cocky way... just more in acknowledgment). at other times, i have felt very low on the talent totem pole. it's no mystery that those low times were the times when i was doing nothing with the gifts i had been given.

here and now, i am feeling a sense of urgency to do something with those gifts. here i am, in the middle of nowhere with no target or outlet mall or beach or even family or friends to distract me ... what better time could there be to really put some effort into improving myself and learning how to use the gifts that God has given me?

the hardest thing is knowing what to do and how to do it. i feel like i used to be an uber-creative person, and in the last few years my creativity has waned. i became lazy, and it was just a little easier to not have to think so hard to create. i guess creativity is much like a muscle. when it isn't used it deteriorates and though it serves you well enough to get through with the basics, such atrophy makes it impossible to truly triumph and stretch the boundaries of your limitations.

i know a few people who are really good at consistently exercising their creativity. my sister is a great example to me of one who is constantly blessing the lives of her family and friends through her thoughtful and super cute creations.
i am always amazed at not only her ability to make anything cute, but also her willingness to put in the extra time and effort to create something one of a kind and from the heart. i want to be like her when i grow up. i suppose we both learned our love of things creative from mom. she is the artist in all of us kids.

my friend carlie is also wicked talented and i have no idea how she does it. with 4 kids (2 of which are babies, mind you) she finds the time to run her businesses (yes, that's plural) and always comes up with the greatest and most adorable things. i don't know when she sleeps!!


and then there's miss marta. was impressed by her creativity from the first time i met her (those german socks!) and i hadn't the faintest idea of what she was really all about. the girl exhales creativity and beauty. i am so glad she shares it all with us on her blog.


and even right here within my own four walls - clint truly is a creative genius. people are always stunned when they compliment me on the decor of our house and i toss all the credit his way.

but it's true. he just knows what looks good. and when he's not decorating our house he's drawing up plans of our dream house, designing logos, painting, you name it. the boy's got skill.

so, obviously i have some good examples to look to. but where to begin? it seems so overwhelming when trying to get back into that state of mind where ingenuity and loveliness meet. for now i have found one thing to get me back in creative shape. photography. taking pictures is a new media for me and i am in love. i am hoping to find some models here in rexburg that would let me practice on them (know anyone? please? please?) so that clint and owey don't get too sick of me constantly looking at them from the other side of the lens. i covet lenses and accessories and am always looking for a cool new backdrop (there are tons here in rural little rexburg!) so, please don't mind if i post a picture or two (or 2 million) in the next little while. it seems this may be what might help me get my groove back.

what about you? what do you do to get out of a creative slump?

4 comments:

The Prince's said...

Hey Jess, Its Michele. Long time no talk. I just wanted you know I've stalked your page forever and love all your pictures of you little man he is adorable!! Its weird speaking of talents I was talking to Taylor about them the other day and thought that he had them all and I had none. Makes me jealous at times all the things he is able to do. I wish you guys were in Boise or we were in Rexburg so that we could all hangout. We've been in Boise since Oct and it still doesn't feel like home. I know the boredom your feeling.....I could give you Kendra's number if you'd like her and Joel live there in Rexburg. They have a little girl who is about 13 months. Let me know if you'd like her number. Don't get too bored.

Anonymous said...

Obviously I love photography too. And Rexburg is a photographer's heaven!

Have you visited ilovephotography.com ? It's free forum that will teach you everything you ever wanted to know!

Carlie said...

Your photos are great! I love the rural scenes. You go girl. It's all about finding something you love...something that keeps you up at night because the thoughts just keep coming. Now you need to come visit and take my clothes pics for my etsy shop. I wish I was a photog but I'm not! I need you!!!

marta said...

oh jess, you are too sweet. am laughing at the thought of my socks.. anyway, you are one amazing mama.

your photographs are brilliant, your hostessing skills amaze, you are so spiritually strong, the way you mother your li'l one is inspiring and artistic and the way you laugh at life and all of it's ups and downs is so much fun.

everyone goes through transitions.. keep up all that you are doing and try to be your best self. i am inspired by YOU and want to become a running mama like you too.