Friday, October 12, 2007

confessions of a new mom...

so, i haven't had much time to actually write anything here in the last few weeks - i figure most people just want to see cute pictures of the cute baby anyways! and to be honest, that's about all i've had time to do! this new mom thing is quite an adjustment! here are some confessions of a new mom...
1. i can't tell you what a thrill it was to sleep for 5 HOURS IN A ROW last night! it was heaven sent and i get just giddy thinking about it. hopefully it won't be just a fluke and little o will start realizing that sleep is a very very good thing.
2. i find myself singing songs and talking to this little boy and then realize he has no idea what i'm saying - and I DON'T CARE!
3. i am embarrassed to say that i have put makeup on/done my hair maybe 3 times in the last 2 and a half weeks. sorry for all who have dropped by to see the baby and have also gotten a shot of me in all my glory. hopefully you can get the image out of your heads and replace it with something much cuter like my son.
4. i took a walk today and at the end of 20 minutes i thought i was going to die. so recovering from a c-section is easier than i thought, but not that easy!

(it is freaky how much this looks like us today - stroller is almost identical, little dog in tow, me with a bun in my hair... it's like they know me....)
5. umm... can you say stretchmarks? sick. will my stomach ever be the same again? don't answer that.
6. he didn't come with instructions! i am starting to figure out what he needs when he's crying, but man it is hard to have this precious little one that you would do anything for and not know what is wrong. i think as we get to know him better it will get easier, but it can be heartwrenching at times!
7. it is so fun to see the love that is poured out from all over towards this new little guy - i know he is so lucky to have so much family and friends that already love him so much. as such he/we have been the recipients of so much kindness, thoughtfulness, and generosity. we are so blessed!
8. how do you ever do this with other kids? when do you sleep if you have a two year old and a four year old too? i have a new found respect for all you supermoms out there!
9. thank goodness for a good husband. did i say good? i mean great! amazing! wonderful! fantastic! i am so lucky to have a man that doesn't want to be "one of those dads" as he calls it. he does everything he can to be loving, supportive, helpful, involved, and in love with the o-man even after a long day's work. his only complaint is that he doesn't get to see his boy enough. thanks babe!
10. my last confession is that although motherhood is sooo different than i had expected in so many ways - one thing is not different at all - i love it! in spite of the lack of sleep, the sore back (amongst other things), the crying, the feelings of inadequacy, and whatever else - this is the greatest gift! i feel so lucky to be able to soak it all in and enjoy this time with my sweet baby boy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess- I'm a friend of Mique's- your sis who had been counting the days until your little bundle arrived (ps my bros name is Owen- love it!). ANyway- just had to comment on all your thoughts on motherhood- and I must say- you, I believe- are ahead of the curve to be able to have such feelings already! I am so happy for you (and Mique ;))- enjoy enjoy- because as everybody has told you- time really DOES fly by and before you know it, you can't even remember them as a baby- so keep taking those pictures too! Congrats! He is a doll!

Ape said...

hang in there. Life gets better...it is different but BETTER THAN EVER!!!!

Madsen Family said...

Jess--New mom nothing--you sound like a pro. And I appreciate your candor, especially since this will be me in a few months. I'm glad that motherhood is as lovely, and different, as you expected. Keep those pictures of that darling face comin'. I think that he is SO you, though I see a little of Clint in him thanks to his baby pictures (by the way, did they put baby Clint in a tool box, or what????)

Megan said...

Jess- He is so adorable and I see so much of you in him, although that second pic of Clint does look like Owen too. Owen is just plain cute though! I am glad you are suriving the new mom stuff. And honestly, adjusting to baby #1 was harder than any of my other baby adjustments. Have hope-- managing more than one child isn't impossible!

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.