Monday, November 10, 2008

santa's workshop is officially open...


so, i know that christmas is like 45 days away, and that it is terribly uncharacteristic of me to get a head start on gift giving, but this week santa's workshop opened it's doors in the erickson household. (if only i had some elves to put to work...) usually i don't get much accomplished until december, but we will once again be moving our entire lives in december (not complaining - sooo glad to go to provo), so the goal is to be done by thanksgiving. and since we happen to be poor college students this year, i figured now is as good of a time as ever to brush up on some old talents and discover some new ones. so i've been busy, busy, busy working on several projects, and i must say - i am extremely pleased! in fact, i've been tempted to keep everything for myself, but that wouldn't exactly be in line with the christmas spirit now would it? i really wish i could post pictures of some of the things i've been working on, but that would totally spoil the surprise of christmas morning. i guess i'll just have to wait until then to show all of you what i've been up to. boys on my list - don't you worry. you will not be receiving crocheted neckties this year. i have yet to figure out how to make a good gift for boys. let me know if you have any great ideas .

picture from my sister's recipe blog - we had this soup this weekend... yummy!!
i am also quite proud of my self because i have taken my resolve to cook more often (after realizing while babysitting that i actually was capable of cooking a meal without getting sick) very seriously and we have had a home-cooked meal every night since. lately i'm on the hunt for some great soup recipes. with the weather getting ever colder (though still no snow on the ground!) i love to make a big batch of soup to have for lunch all week. any suggestions?
and lastly - this is where my homemaking skills completely fail me (and my family for that matter) - cleaning. not my strong suit, but there is nothing i despise more than cleaning the bathroom. (sorry for revealing my deepest darkest secrets!)

and although i know it's not gracious to use pregnancy as an excuse for everything - in the beginning it was the sick factor that made me dread cleaning the loo, and now it is just the belly in the way of everything that has pushed me to the point of seeking out your best advice. so, dear blog readers, HELP ME!!! please, please, oh please tell me all of your secrets to keeping your bathroom (i mean ALL of it - shower, tub, counters, toilet, the whole shebang) sparkly clean without wanting to die or vomit in the process!! do you use special cleaners that are just a-mazing and do it for you? do you make your husband do it? do you hate it as much as i do? or am i just a terrible wife/mom? and please don't tell me your housekeeper does it or that i just have to suck it up and go cinderella style- that might make me cry.

8 comments:

Holly said...

Cleaning secrets? When I was prego sick...I couldn't move, let alone clean, so I'm amazed by you!!! But...something that is fast for toilets...get the Clorox toilet bowl cleaner. You know, the one that gets under the rim. Put it in the toilet AND around the bottom of the bowl, let it sit for 10 minutes, and wipe/flush it away. I know toilets need to get scrubbed, but when you're sick, this is better than nothing! I'm also loving the antibacterial wipes for everything.
SO excited to see all your projects! I wish I were as crafty as you and Mique! Seriously!!!
Can't wait to see you when you come to Utah:o)

Tiffany Fackrell said...

So this is Tiffany Fackrell, I jumped here from Laura Lopez's page, I hope that is okay. I love your way of writing! Here is my two cents on your questions. One year for my brothers and bro in laws I crocheted (sp?) them beanies. They were really pretty easy, and David still wears his and actually asked me for a new one...I might even have some yarn in boy colors if you want it! I think this year we are just going to write out our testimonies and give those with a personal written note, we are seriously that poor right now with the BIG move coming right before christmas!!

as for soups, well I have a recipe blog, it is on the side bar of my blog you can click on it and I think there is even a soup catergory. My favorite soup is the zuppa tuscana from the Olive Garden, Not sure if that is on the recipe blog but if you want it I can give it to you!!

now for the bathroom cleaning, I will admit lately my hubby has been doing it!! He much rather clean the bathroom then do the dishes so I think it is a perfect trade!! But I always have clorox wipes in my bathroom, i love those things, I use them to wipe up everything and then just throw them away. I also use one of those toilet bowl wands to clean the toilet and then you just flush the scrubby part of it when you are done, so there is no touching anything!!!

sorry this is long, that is just my two cents! Good Luck!

fackrellfamily.blogspot.com

Me and My Boys said...

All I have to say is Clorox wipes, they totally save my life when it comes to cleaning the bathroom, you can use them on everything. p.s. you have to show me the things you made, your crafty I wish I could make all that super cute stylish things, I love you style!!!!

brooke said...

I have a great taco soup recipe that is SOUP-er easy (ha ha, couldn't resist the pun!) I'll e-mail it to you.

As for the bathroom (my nemesis) the best I've ever been about it was when I was following the fly lady swish and swipe method. You basically clean your bathroom every day (sounds terrible but its not) it only takes about two min. and since you do it every day you never have to deep clean the bathroom. I'll send that in my e-mail too. (and I'll also say do as I say, not as I do, because even with that great method I am not the best bathroom cleaner!)

Proud mom of 7......... said...

i guess i'm the weird one...when it comes to cleaning...if it includes water..i don't mind it. i'm embarrassed to admit that when it comes to dusting or folding clothes...they are at the bottom of the cleaning totem pole.

Soup recipe...i do our fav..."gabriel's goulash", which is basically vegetable soup. although it has the same basic inexpediences (beef, stewed tomatoes, potatoes), it's never the same, cuz i throw what ever's left in the fridge and it's always yummy, especially for lunches the rest of the week.

i recently added a white chili recipe to our menu that has chicken and white beans...climbing to the top of our list.

let me know if you're interested in recipes.

xoxo~lisa

Madsen Family said...

Jess...Ahh, cleaning the bathroom. We all hate it--even if we aren't pregnant. I have no magic there. But I do love the Lysol (or clorox--doesn't matter) wipes and I have tried those little devices you clip onto the toilet seat that left off cleaning goodness every time you flush. It's better than nothing (but don't leave it on indefinitely). Also, for cleaning the shower: clean it WHILE you shower. You gotta shower, so just bring cleaning spray and some rags and clean while you bathe!

I have a super easy and yummy tortilla soup recipe (in fact, we're having it this week) if you want. Plus, I need your friends zuppa tuscana recipe if you get it b/c THAT is my favorite soup! Yum, yum! Anyway, can't wait to see your homemade gifts! I'm impressed.

Unknown said...

I just posted a crowd pleaser last week on our blog. It's easy and delish!

Dana Scarbrough said...

Amen to the holly comment- I say for a quick fix use clorox wipes (in a nice orange scent) and clorox toilet bowl cleaner- it sticks! I didn't know you guys were moving in December! We're moving to Utah too!