Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Crying....

We all know that I inherited my tear ducts from my mother. Good old mom. Cries at the drop of a hat. It's a standing family joke that you know you gave her a good birthday or christmas or mother's day gift when she starts to cry. If she doesn't cry - well, better luck next year. My brother-in-law, Josh, and some of my cousins start a count-down to see how many seconds it will take for the tears to start flowing.
Now, as much fun as it is to make fun of mom, I don't stand a chance. I am just as bad, if not worse!! The biggest problem I have is what I like to call "empathetic or contagious crying." I may not be happy or sad or whatever the emotion may be that causes someone else to cry, but as soon as tears well up in another persons eyes, for some reason those little tears of mine decide they don't want to miss out on all the fun. In an instant I could be crying just because I see someone else crying. It's almost like contagious yawning. You see someone else doing it, you just gotta. Most people don't suffer from contagious crying. But I do. The only time in my life I seemed to have been in remission from this nonsensical crying was on my mission - and that is honestly because I prayed like you wouldn't believe that I wouldn't be a bawl baby as a missionary. I knew that if I was ever going to be able to teach an understandable word, I would have to be able to hold it together for heaven's sake! So, those tear ducts dried up for a little while - but man, as soon as that nametag came off, it was over.
Anyhow - why am I jabbering on about crying? The reason is that sometimes I am grateful to shed a tear or two - like a release valve is being opened up or something. This morning I had a surprise attack when I opened up big sis's blog to read what was new in her life. (since I last read it yesterday!)As I read of her ah-ha moment I felt completely overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude, joy, inspiration, and love. And, what do you know- the tears started to flow (as they are now by the way!)I have seen many miracles in my life- mostly small ones, but some big enough to change my life. One of those is to watch someone so close to me as my sister go through ridiculously difficult challenges in her life and not only survive, but inspire everyone she meets. I am so grateful for her strength that helps me to be strong, and for her trials that help me to see God's hand in all of our lives.
Sometimes I am amazed at the wisdom and grace of our Heavenly Father and His decision to send us here to earth as families. I can not think of a better way to spend this life and the rest of eternity than with those you love deeply and those for whom you would do anything to ensure their happiness. And to know that now I can create a famiy of my own to do the same... it is just amazing. To all of my family- I love you, I am grateful for you, you inspire me, you amaze me, you are a part of me.

1 comment:

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

WOW!! All I can say i WOW..and for the one known to be the non-crier, you did a doozy (how do you spell that?) on me. How could I not bawl after reading your post? I only hope that I am as supportive you as you are to me. I am lucky to have you as my sister and my friend. I love you so much, Miq